This recipe is can be made using any fish and is a great answer to left over fish. It can be kept really simple or supercharged healthy. The fish and spices can be changed for almost any combination and it can make a really impressive breakfast or dinner without being difficult or expensive!
As always i don’t really measure ingredients but this gives you a rough idea. Just add more of what you have or love and less of what you don’t!
- 250g tinned or fresh salmon or left over fish
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small sweet potato mashed
- 2 tbsp of flour of choice
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 2 limes
- cayenne pepper (or chilli powder or just black pepper)
- 2 chillies
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 heaped tsp mustard
- Into a bowl mix the flaked fish, spices and seasoning of choice, juice of half a lime, egg, mashed potato, held a bunch of coriander chopped and diced chilli.
2) Mix together
3) Roll into balls in the palm of your hands and into the flour until covered. Pat into patties 🙂
4) Fry in coconut oil or grill until brown
Meanwhile mix the mayonnaise, mustards, rest of coriander chopped and juice of one lime. Gently heat for a couple of minutes
Tips: I like to tower the fish cakes with avocado in-between on a bed of greens, top with a poached egg and cover in the hollandaise for breakfast. If I’m making them for dinner i serve with roasted veg and greens.
Supercharge!: Use fresh sustainable and local fish, spelt flour, homemade or organic mayonnaise, sweet potato and grill. Serve with avocado, more chilli, lemon or lime juice and plenty of spinach or kale. Add sweetcorn, spring onion and dill to the mix for even more flavour.
You can mix up the fish, change the spices and the herbs and basically make it your own!